Section 504 Information

Notice:  In compliance with state and federal law, the School District of Springfield Township will provide to each protected handicapped student, without discrimination or cost to the student or family, those related aids, services or accommodations which are needed to provide equal opportunity to participate in and obtain the benefits of the school program and extracurricular activities to the maximum extent appropriate to the student’s abilities. In order to qualify as a protected handicapped student the child must be of school age with a physical or mental disability which substantially limits or prohibits participation in or access to an aspect of the school program.

What is a 504 Plan (or Service Agreement)?

Under Section 504, an individual with a disability (also referred to as a student with a disability in the elementary and secondary education context) is defined as a person who: (1) has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits a major life activity; (2) has a record of such an impairment; or (3) is regarded as having such an impairment.

How is a 504 Plan Different than an IEP?

Both Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) and 504 plans can offer formal help for K–12 students who are struggling in school. They’re similar in some ways but very different in others. This chart compares them side-by-side to help you understand the differences.

Process:  What do I do?

A parent who would like to request their child be evaluated for eligibility for a 504 should contact their student’s school counselor.  Any documentation the parent has in regards to a diagnosis should be submitted to the school counselor.

A meeting will be scheduled for the parent and student to meet with the school psychologist who will review the concerns and any submitted documentation and determine if a 504 evaluation is needed at that time.

If the student's needs suggest they are eligible for a 504 Service Agreement, the team, along with a school psychologist,  will recommend accommodations and supports needed for school.

Counselors can send requests to College Board who will determine if students will receive any accommodations for SATs or ACTs.

Some Examples of Impairments Which May Qualify for Service Agreements:

ADHD, anxiety, asthma, food allergies, diabetes, cancer, epilepsy, ADD, PTSD, depression, chronic medical and mental health conditions

Additional Resources